Monday 27 October 2014

Shine Bright Like a (modest, affordable) Diamond!

I've just read an article written by someone who is very clearly rich, with a rich fiancĂ©! It was all about the 4 C's of a diamond (Carat Weight, Cut, Colour, Clarity). 
Now, I am not a jeweller by profession, and neither is my husband, therefore I do not care personally about these features. Neither are we rich! Needless to say, most of the facts in the article floated right over my head - it was like a different language to me!

I remember meeting a friend of a friend a couple of years ago who had picked out her own engagement ring - exactly what she wanted - before he'd even discussed getting engaged! She had informed him if she wasn't given that exact one, she would say no if he dared propose. Sounds like a loving, healthy relationship to me! *did you sense the sarcasm?!*
When they did get engaged (with a similar ring, thank Goodness!) she then declared she was willing to wait years (and I mean 5+) to make sure the wedding day was of Katie Price and Cinderella proportions. She did not want things done by half. Fair enough, each to their own, but a marriage is surely more important than a wedding day?! I'm sure some people forget this.

I respect people who spend their own money on their choice of ring and their decisions to spend a lot of money if that is what they want to do. I just personally feel glad we did not do that. 

I have a few reasons for this. Number one - my husband sold his pride and joy modified one-off BMW 335i with custom Priory design body kit to pay off some old debts, to be able to move in together AND with what was left he bought me a surprise engagement ring!

He went into an independent jewellers in Hastings one day when he was away working and chose what he liked out of what he could afford. In my eyes, it was not cheap, but the grand scheme of what most spend on an engagement ring, it was not expensive either. It was simply what he liked and what he could afford.

It fitted perfectly

So that's reason number one to not spend a fortune on a ring - you don't have a fortune to spend in the first place!

Reason number two, I simply wouldn't feel safe walking around the streets with a massive, diamond-heavy expensive ring!

Number three, and probably the one I think about the most at present. I now can't wear my rings for more than a few hours a week. So people who go out and spend hours upon hours and hundreds upon hundreds (or even thousands!) could then go on to not even be able to wear their rings.

I have developed an eczema-type rash right on my wedding finger! I've tested for an allergy and it doesn't look like it's that. When you read up online the symptoms you wouldn't believe how common it is for married women to get 'wedding finger dermatitis' whether it be as a newlywed like myself, or after 5, 10, 20 years of marriage.

The biggest reason of them all... How much you spend on wedding and engagement rings is not a reflection of the success of a relationship! Nor is it a sign that you will last forever and ever as a couple cos your rings are better than the other girl's!

I am so glad we didn't break the bank, but that is my own personal experience and opinion! I am just here to give my thoughts, some will agree, others will not and it doesn't make either side right or wrong.

I forgot to mention, I adore my rings and I cry when I have to take them off when the rash reappears


No comments:

Post a Comment