Tuesday 25 November 2014

The Most Important Dress Shop You'll Ever Do

I don't understand how people choose, commit to and pay for their wedding dress 12 months before their big day, or sometimes even longer.

The shops suggest 6-9 months before your wedding to start shopping because if it isn't a sample sale buying off the peg, to make a wedding dress takes around 3-4 months or so.

I know some people go trying on and even commit to purchasing one a year or more before their wedding day. I'm really curious if they feel comfortable as they're doing this because I certainly wouldn't.

Your tastes and opinions can change quite drastically over time, especially in clothing preferences. Also, don't styles change quite a bit over the seasons?! If you're totally sold on something then in 6 months time another drop-dead gorgeous, PERFECT dress comes out, how hard would you kick yourself?!

Another reason I wouldn't feel comfortable is anything could happen in that time! You might become pregnant, or ill, or put on weight, or lose it. All the seamstresses I originally contacted once my dress was ordered told me they won't make dresses bigger at all and they can only take in by a size or 2 also.

Don't get me wrong - I did the same thing as most. I was so excited at the prospect of my very own wedding day, I booked to try on dresses less than a month after our engagement! I fell in love on my second trying-on session and put a deposit down on the spot. I was ecstatic! A lil niggling thought "was it too soon?!" did cross my mind but I loved it so it must be right! This was a year ago this month. Last November we still had 9 months until our big day when I purchased my gown.
Then, I shared a picture of me trying it on with my so-called best friend. Her response: she cried for 10 hours and refused to come to my wedding because I'd chosen a similar style to her! Needless to say, we're not in touch anymore! I wasn't to know what hers was going to be like!
She was getting married early summer 2015 and had bought her dress in summer 2013. Absolute madness, so much time will pass from buying to wearing - she could end up hating it by the year she gets married!

Pronovias released their 2014 collection just one month after I'd bought mine and was eagerly awaiting it's creation and arrival in England. I must admit, I felt a little like I was missing out - the new designs were amazing and I felt like mine would look old and out of style by the summer!
I know this won't count for everyone, as most brides put my organisation to shame. But I didn't do any research into wedding dress styles or designers. I visited two local shops and picked every single one I liked off the rails and got busy trying on. My mind was totally open and totally clueless! Had I done any research, I'd have searched out a couple of designers stockists as I've since found some really exquisite gowns and stunning designs.

Anyway, this is from where I stand, how I see it! Would love to hear from any real-life brides how they got on finding a dress and how long before their wedding day they chose it? As I well know, what works for one won't necessarily be right for another.

Pronovias 'Jackie' 

No comments:

Post a Comment