Sunday 23 November 2014

Is black the new black?!

I wore black last night! Yes, actual all black! (Apart from the cardi and coat!) 

I know for some people, that's their norm. Not for me - I very rarely wear all black. I think I can remember when I stopped wearing a lot of black. It was years ago, I was out shopping with my then-boyfriend and asked if he liked an item of clothing. He said to me that it was the same as everything else I owned: dark. So I picked up the same item in a different colour (grey) and he informed me that all I ever wear is black or grey. Yes I know, I do admit he was a bit of an idiot. On so many levels... But that's a different blog post maybe for a different time.
Looking back, when I went on nights out I didn't always wear black/ grey. For work, our uniform rule was you could wear any colour as long as it's black. So it makes sense why I was always buying black clothes. I remember my favourite out out dress was a bright baby pink spaghetti strap mini dress. And boy, that was one gorgeous dress! I currently can't fit more than one thigh in it though, so it's in the wardrobe archives!

Anyway, I think his comment affected my decisions more than I imagined it would.

Since then, I've made a conscience effort to not just wear black. My usual non-work attire consists of patterns... Ooo I love a pattern... And some block colours. Sometimes these can be hard to work together, whereas the merits of black are that black goes with pretty much everything (except for brown and dark navy blue - please don't do it!) 

I still enjoy wearing colour even if it isn't always easy and takes some brain power to collaborate your items at times!

My usual attire: Patterns

Love living a colourful life

I was looking through my Instagram feed a few weeks ago and saw an outfit and just thought *emoji face with hearts for eyes* wow! A sheer, loose black dress of varying lengths around the hem paired with those achingly-in-fashion-this-season over the knee boots. It all just worked - so effortlessly but so chic and 'on point' at the same time. The person had captioned her photo: All Saints. Now, being a supporter of all things bright and wonderful, I usually avoid that shop. I went with my sister when she wanted to choose a dress to wear for my wedding. Nothing particularly caught my eye, not for me. I adored what my sister wore, but when it comes to colour versus black clothes - we're opposite ends of the spectrum!

After seeing this Instagram photo, I thought I'd make a casual trip to All Saints for myself and see what all the fuss is about.

A lot of the clothing in there is black or grey. They are also quite expensive. I found a dress I liked and tried it on. I'll be honest, I wasn't immediately sold. The hem finishes longer and straight across at the back (about mid-low calf) and the front is ruched up at the right hip, with two splits up to the thighs on each side.
I felt the back finished at an odd length. I stepped out of the fitting room and my husband was so complimentary. The dress is soooo comfortable. It is soft, and quite loose but not shapeless. I wanted to keep it on forever, despite my lil niggling doubts. We used his discount card and boom! It was suddenly in a crisp paper All Saints bag on it's way home!
And we haven't looked back!

Last night: all black from All Saints
Cardigan is old Dorothy Perkins


No comments:

Post a Comment