Saturday 1 November 2014

My face's journey to the wedding

When we first got engaged and booked our wedding a year ago, I assumed I would have a make-up artist.

I have a horrible red pigment patch on my left cheek, and a very slight one on the other cheek. These are the bain of my life - I hate them. I think they make me look awful. So I wanted to cover them.

I've been to doctors and to beauticians before and they just call it Rosacea... Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. All I know is I need it covered! It's the first thing I see when I look at my face in a mirror.

I started researching makeup artists. I understand you get what you pay for but my argument is my face is the same as it is every other day - why is it over twice as much to get it made up on your wedding day?!

The first lady I came across I looked through her photos and thought they were good. I looked up her prices... £35 for full make-up. Ok, we can afford that. Then scroll down her 'menu' bride's make-up from £200. £200?! With a deposit of £70, and then more for the trial. Are you joking?! On the 28th August it would cost me £35, on 29th August it was going to cost me £200?!

Ok. On with the search. I found a lovely lady who came to my attention through her work on Halloween fancy dress makeup. But this lady can do glam, natural, dramatic - your wish is her command! 

The photo that caught my attention (with Mario & Charlie - TOWIE) 2013 courtesy of @ashleyep83  Twitter page.

Sam Faiers - make up by Ashley (source: Twitter  
@ashleyep83)

A recent photo of Ashley's courtesy of her Twitter page.

I got in touch with Ashley and she was lovely. I explained how obsessed with her work I was! It turns out she is located up in Manchester - but does travel, depending on circumstances. Ashley suggested, for her to do the journey from Manchester down to Essex, I could have my wedding makeup, mother of the bride's and up to 4 girls (bridesmaids) aswell for a decent price.

My mum did not want her make up done - she only wears eye makeup and I didn't have any bridesmaids nor really close friends at the time who could step in and have their makeup done! I've got closer to 3 girl friends now whom I regularly see, but, remember, I'm talking about a year ago.

Anyway, going slightly off track there. I couldn't afford the bill for just myself and I didn't want to put it upon Ashley to do that journey just for one person. Every time I've spoken with Ashley I find her to be professional, friendly and a pleasure to have been in contact with. If I ever get married again (!!) I'll have to try to do it in Manchester!

After all that, I never found anyone whose work impressed me as much as Ashley's. Another thing I kept thinking was - I just want my red patch covered! I don't really need dramatic eyes, I'm probably going to cry anyway! (I didn't until 10:30pm!).

I had a few discussions with my then-fiancĂ© who said he was happy to help me to pay for whatever I said I needed, but in his honest opinion - you shouldn't break the bank over something you're going to wash off after 8 hours. He took me to many places to try makeup - MAC, Benefit, Bare Minerals (who had cancelled my appointment without phoning me due to staff sickness - needless to say I didn't bother there again!) Finally, 2 days before the wedding, we went to the place my husband will only buy all of his toiletries from - Clinique. 

He said he would rather me get something I can wear again and again rather than pay more for the make up for just one day.

So, that was my journey of what to do with my face for my wedding... I will feature my choice of makeup in a future blog.

If you are interested in having quality makeup done by a friendly, talented professional - Ashley's website is makeupbyashley.co.uk and no Ashley has not asked me to write this - I merely speak as I find and give credit where credit is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment