Sunday 2 November 2014

Made up with my makeup!

As promised...

The make up I wore for our wedding day just over 2 months ago. How time flies when you're a newlywed living in happily married bliss!


You might be wondering why there's no mascara in the picture...
I had false lashes (last 6-8 weeks) glued on and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy! As I was having them done, my eyelids constantly flutter and won't stay shut. This makes it very difficult to apply the lashes, as your eyes need to stay closed for the duration of having them put on. 
After 2 days of a bloodshot and streaming eye, I phoned the lady who had done them (the night before the wedding) and she came to see what the problem was, the glue had stuck to my eyelid rather than my eyelash and was scratching my eyeball whenever I blinked. Ouch! is an understatement! She had to pull them all off with tweezers as the glue remover hadn't budged them - I lost 8 of my real ones and had a gap at the end of the row. She offered to rectify this but I was so sore I couldn't bare anything more being done to my poor eye! Thank Goodness for glasses and a fringe! Not one person noticed the gap!
I got them done because I thought I was going to cry. Even though my husband was crying (happy tears, apparently!) as I approached him to the beautiful sounds of At Last - Etta James, well, I didn't shed one single tear until my grandad left at 10:30pm! And even that wasn't enough to have even ruined a good mascara! My advice: go for the Eylure lashes (can get from Boots) I used to use these every weekend and they're a lot cheaper and less painful than the glued semi-permanent. Or, use a waterproof mascara.

I bought the MAC powder on a trip across the water from good ole Essex to the Garden of England... Kent. A friend and I visited Bluewater shopping centre at the beginning of August and a lady who works at MAC did my make up for me. She never showed me what it was she was using. I agreed I looked flawless, although it did feel very 'heavy' on my face - I understand it's full coverage, and bought what she'd used. When I got them home to show my then-fiancé I got the foundation out the bag (I'd paid extra for a pump also) and it was the Studio Fix liquid with SPF in it! I had said I didn't want one with an SPF cos of the ghostly pale it looks in photographs if the camera has a flash. I tried it out nonetheless, and, yes, there was a white sheen over my face and the rest of my body looked normal colour! This would only be a problem in the dark - it's only really noticeable when a camera's flash goes off to capture the photo.
I couldn't wear that! I looked on the reviews and loads of people had written the same. 
Anyway, I'd also purchased the Prep + Prime finishing powder from MAC. I was told to use this to make my foundation stay on longer. I apply this with a Clinique powder brush.

I still needed a foundation that will stay all afternoon and evening, cover my pesky red patches (see previous post: My face's journey to the wedding) and not contain an SPF.

Just when I'd convinced myself using my everyday one would be fine, the Wednesday 27th August (we got married the 29th) my husband took me to our local shopping mall - Lakeside, Essex.
He insisted I try his favourite brand Clinique (he won't buy anything from anyone else!) 

I explained what I wanted to the lady at the counter and she used this miracle foundation - had no SPF, felt light and airy but still fully covered oh so well! She also advised that to counteract red tones in skin, a soft peach works best. So I purchased Clinique's Blushing Blush in Innocent Peach.

My miracle foundation

The lady did say she recommends using a foundation with SPF on normal days, as it protects from the sun's harmful rays, but she understood why I didn't want one for my wedding evening, when the dark would prompt camera flashes to be used. 
The Superbalanced Foundation doesn't have a pump, you have to pour it.
I apply it by tipping it sideways and placing my brush at the edge, as I find pouring it on your hand increases wastage (personal preference).

I started my makeup at 1:30pm as our photographer was due to arrive at 2:30, my mum was drying my hair around 2pm, and I was to get into my dress by 3:15pm.

I used my trusty SkinDrink Facial Moisturiser from Lush Cosmetics as a base, it is quite rich and creamy but very smooth. It acts as a primer as well, so I only used a touch of Benefit POREfessional Primer (it's run out now, hence not in the photo above) on top of the moisturiser to ensure it stayed on as long as I needed it to.

I then applied my lovely Clinique Superbalanced foundation. I applied my normal amount, then thought, "I NEED this to last, there will be hugging, kissing, possibly crying, for about 9 hours!" So I applied just as much again - I did NOT want those red patches to be making an appearance by wedding breakfast time!

The MAC Prep + Prime finishing powder was brushed on all over next - to seal the deal!

I put a little of the Blushing Blush on my cheeks, a sweep of Benefit World Famous Neutrals 'Most Glamorous Nudes Ever' eyeshadow, and my gorgeous Ruby Woo MAC lipstick (which I only had to apply once more, in the evening) then Ta-Daa!! Ready to walk down that aisle 💋

No comments:

Post a Comment