Thursday 4 December 2014

Colour me married!

I got my wedding tattoo last week!

And, gosh did it hurt!

I'm fine with the actual constant needle pierces but the next day... OUCH!!

That was my eighth ink addition. I've been the same with most of them - all chilled out laying/ sitting having it done - the sensation just a mere irritation, and strangly addictive for most! Then whilst it's still partially an open wound the next 24 hours - I curse myself and my big ideas!!

I got this to mark our wedding. 
By Matt Adamson @ Jayne Doe, Essex

The pocket watch shows the date and time we said our wedding vows. My original design was that of a clock in the head of a key but the sizing just wasn't working. So we decided upon this new design. I still wanted an ornate key in there. The orange gerbera daisy is to represent my main flower in my bouquet - and my favourite flower in general.

I have another tattoo on the other side of a rose, which was coincidentally the other flower in my beautiful wedding bouquet. This ink is over two years old now.


I've always picked tattoo ideas based on personal meanings to myself. I have reasons behind each of mine and I have ideas for one or two more!

I've had many people over the years say "no more please" or asking me why I do it, or just plain telling me they don't agree with my decision. As if I made these decisions based on what they think or want - it's my body, after all!

None of my tattoos, I don't feel, have ever been offensive to anyone. Just many people out there don't like tattoos. That's fine, we're all entitled to our opinions. I don't like cheese but I am not about to start being judgmental of anyone who chooses to eat cheese! 
I've had so many judgmental people that out of exasperation, my reply now, when anyone voices their judgment, I turn it back round "why have you not got any tattoos?!" If you feel you can open judge me for having them - I will openly reply wondering how you can go through life without wanting to mark parts of this wonderful one-off journey on your body?!

I found the quote below and thought this sums it up so well! I've never come across anyone (apart from now I've started doing it!) who questions the decision to not get inked. And I must point out I have only ever said it to individuals who have been very judgmental towards my own or people I know's tattoos. I don't walk down the street approaching randoms and questioning their decision to ink or not to ink!

I am aware there is still a stigma around tattooed people and I'm hoping over the years this kinda just dissipates.


1 comment: