Tuesday 4 November 2014

How to avoid Post-Wedding Blues


Photo credit: etsy.com

I know you're going to feel strange, no matter what, after your wedding. Most people spend a lot of time and money on their wedding. I think the people who do the half an hour ceremony in a Registry Office then off home are probably on to something!

I have been thinking how I managed not to suffer too badly from the dreaded post-wedding blues.

First of all, I was prepared for them. I was ready and waiting for them! They didn't really ever come! 

I did suffer physically after our wedding - we got married on the 29th August and on my first day back to work on 1st September, I woke up with a red, itchy rash on my neck and flu-like symptoms. I now still have a few itchy, dry patches I've never had before on my neck and under my eyes. Then on 10th September that rash I referred to in my blog post Shine Bright Like A (modest, affordable) Diamond joined my finger and hasn't gone! That has got me down, but as for actual post wedding blues... What is there to be sad about - you've got your lovely husband (hopefully) and made some amazing memories! Plus you get your spare time back!

I found planning a wedding and all the DIY aspects of it a chore. You have to put your evenings, weekends, time off aside to do this.

Here are a few things I think can help to minimise or even eradicate those ever-feared post-wedding blues.

Plan things to look forward to. A party, a day out, a night out, a meal... As a couple, as a family... Whatever pleases you. I was lucky my birthday was 5 weeks from our wedding date. I had planned a party at our house and told everyone back in July, it gave me something to focus on after the wedding - we sent invites out the week after the wedding!

Which leads me nicely on to...

Don't go on honeymoon straight away... I have heard many people on cloud 9 in the lead up to their wedding then packing and posing on beaches with tan skin in absolute bliss. Then they get back on the plane, 7, or 14 days later and that's it! Wedding over. Fun over. Laughter over. That shouldn't be the case - you didn't get married just to go on an exotic, fancy holiday (I hope!) And, as above, it gives you something in the future to look forward to.
One of our generous family member wedding guests gifted us a night in a lovely hotel the night of the wedding. My husband had booked a total secret for the day after the wedding. He took me up to London to stay in The May Fair Hotel, W1J 8LT and a few more surprises that day and evening! Plus they upgraded us when we got there to a 2-floored suite within the hotel. I am so glad we did this - it prolonged the perfect weekend, but was glad I didn't stay for longer than a night - I could get used to that kinda place all too easily!
We are planning on going on honeymoon next year sometime once I've changed my name on my passport. We did ask, for anyone wishing to give us a gift on our wedding day, if we could have a donation for our honeymoon fund!
It gives us something to look forward to!

I strongly believe you shouldn't spend too long, too many weekends and evenings planning your wedding. We started planning ours as soon as he proposed, and we got married 10 months after. He has always told me he wanted a short engagement and all of 2013 he said "we're getting married next year" - I did think we'd just go and get married without the proposal at one point! I've heard so many people say "what am I going to do now?!" Erm, enjoy your life? With your brand new built-in best mate... Your husband. I think the longer you plan it, the more you miss it once you've got nothing to plan. I imagine it becomes a way of life, rather than a short episode in your life. 

And, most important tip of all...
Be sure before you marry that you're marrying the right person and for the right reasons - a marriage isn't all about the wedding day. There's the tiny matter of the rest of your lives to spend together!

As ever, my opinions, not facts. Do whatever feels right for you and your partner and you can't go wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment