Wednesday 31 December 2014

Our Festive Season

So, another Christmas has come and gone! It was my 27th one on this planet, and mine and my man's fifth one together! How time flies!

We started the celebrations early and went to a pantomime of Sleeping Beauty on Tuesday 23rd December and boo'ed and hissed our way through it! Oh yes we did! [sorry!] 
We decided to have a relaxing Christmas Eve - he wrapped the last of his presents he'd been hiding and I gorged on the extra soaps on the TV! 

The magical day itself... We spent it with our immediate families. It's the first year I've eaten Christmas dinner somewhere other than where I'm living. Last year we visited family then went home around 4pm and my fiancé (at the time was his title!) cooked us a gorgeous, HUGE roast beef dinner with all the trimmings!
All the years before that, I've been living at my parents so have eaten there. My mum and my husband are the best at cooking! They've taught me everything I know between them!

Last year's Christmas dinner, courtesy of my then-fiancĂ© 

This year, our first year as a married couple, we were invited to my mum in law's for dinner. Christmas would not be Christmas without seeing my little toddler niece and family. So, we had a busy day of visiting! We woke up at our house together. Well, I say we woke up... I rolled over and my husband (who usually sleeps til midday easily on his day off) was practically bouncing on the bed! At 7am! As soon as I half opened one eye, he jumped up, grabbed my slippers and was putting them on me whilst I was still horizontal! Well, never before in the four and a half years we've been together have I been woken by him! It tends to be the other way round!
We went downstairs, and SANTA HAD BEEN! He'd delivered a lot of the presents to the wrong house (we put that down to old age!) but I had some lovely, really thoughtful gifts from my husband and I think he liked his too!

Christmas morning under our tree

We quickly got ready and drove to my parent's, taking our gifts to their rightful recipients. Well, Santa's sack had exploded in my parent's living room - it was amazing the amount of presents and goodies in that one room! My niece seemed to love it!

After a mammoth present-opening session, the nibbles came out! I ate my weights-worth of crisps, cookies and chicken bites then remember my mum in law does her dinner early at 3pm. Oh well, Christmas calories and bloat don't count do they?!

I loved every second with my family it was truly magical. Then it was off to my mum in law's house for a delicious turkey roast. My first ever Turkey Christmas dinner! It was as nice as all the chicken and beef ones... I've always wondered if turkey would be as good! I needn't have worried! It was delicious!

Christmas turkey dinner

It was so nice having a drink and a chill into the evening at their house, chatting and watching Christmas Day TV. When we decided to go home, laden down with gifts, we watched the infamous Eastenders back at home on our reclining sofa. Lovely.

Basically, to put a long story shorter - we had a blissful, perfect Christmas Day surrounded by people we love who love us right back!

Once Christmas Day was over, it was back to normality! We went sale shopping and purchased a double oven, a fridge-freezer and a dress! [will blog seperately - and the dress is for me incase there was any insurety!]

We got take away pizza for Boxing Day dinner then did our ordinary weekly shop over the weekend... Normality had well and truly returned and we wouldn't have it any other way!
We also completely emptied the kitchen over the weekend to make room for the DIY that was to be done in there. So although no work for us the week of the 29th it's been alarm on, full of dust sheets, drills and cables! Will blog that progress too!

We were supposed to go to a wedding reception on 27th of someone who has become quite close to me recently. Alas, the weather did not want this to happen and sent snow and frost! My husband's car and slippery roads don't get on well at all so we had to stay at home which I was very upset about. But I'm sure she had a fantastic day and evening. 

So, our festive season has been busy, fun and us together even through the building work... Just the way we like it! 

Hope you all had a good one too!


No comments:

Post a Comment