Wednesday 10 December 2014

How things change!

Who remembers being 21 and 22?! I know it feels like a distant memory! 
I came across a picture of myself at a New Years Eve event in London in 2009 and it got me thinking how different life was back then. 

I hadn't even met my now-husband then! I was in a mostly unhappy relationship. I was working in care full time and had only recently come out of a salon hairdressing full time. A year earlier I'd had a surprise 21st birthday party and also been to New York! 

Back then, going out was the be-all and end-all! When you did go out (at least 5 nights a week) you not only went with a couple of people - you'd bump into 57 other different acquaintances to have a drink with! And when a Bank holiday was coming up, you HAD to be out - no matter what! 
Back then, it didn't matter what time your alarm was set to go off in the morning, you stayed out til the lights came on in the club!
Back then, you slipped and slid through snow and ice in Mary Janes, a vest, tutu and not much else!
Back then, vodka & cranberry and decent wines were just a waste of money! Alcopops (bottled liquid sugar!) were the way forward!
Back then, it really mattered who fancied who, how many 'followers' (or whatever it was) on Facebook you had. You were 'friends' with 500 people - 478 of which you would actually walk past without so much as a nod, let alone conversation!

These days, it is quality over quantity. I can count my friends on one hand. The 'clubbing buddies' I had are filed in my mind's memory box - something I take pleasure in looking through every now and again fondly.
Now, a Bank holiday means no alarm setting, a nice cosy day doing nothing/something homely/ seeing family...
Now, the mere suggestion of staying up for Jonathon Ross on a Saturday night makes me tired! 
Now, it's a tights, blouse (long-sleeve of course!) boots and thick coat kinda thing whenever you have to face leaving your house!
These days, again, it's quality not quantity. Not just on the friend front, on the drinks as well! Not that I won't always appreciate a deal on a White Zinfandel! 
Now, it's about who is there. Really there through the good, the bad and the spectacularly good and bad times!
These days, it's been about 3 years since I deleted Facebook and I've never looked back!

These days, a lovely dinner, at home or out, a social drink and a catch up are all things I enjoy immensely. I love spending time with my family, husband and friends. I love getting into my PJs as soon as I close the front door behind me for the night. I love reclining on our sofa in our lil home, together. I love visiting the supermarket together and choosing what to eat for the week. I love writing blogs. I love cooking with my husband, and enjoying his dishes he so often wows me with! I love planning the odd night out - to dance, to laugh, to drink!
I love looking back on my early 20s and fondly remembering all these great experiences... When my 'friend' (now husband!) and I stayed up til 4:30am then having to get up for work at 7am! I come across so many photos I have saved over the years... With so many amazing memories.

Things change. I loved how it was, when it was. I love how it is, now it is. Those memories will stay with me - and if any begin to fade, I have my trusty photos to give them a helping hand!

NYE 2009 



No comments:

Post a Comment