Sunday 30 October 2016

(3) Lil Bean's Early Scan 6w4d

I was vaguely reassured by the internal exam (although of course it caused a little more blood - typical for me).

The blood was gone by lunchtime the next day. I rested up for a few days and generally spent every moment worrying but trying to think positively.

Everyone who already knew, were pinning a lot of hope on the scan I had booked for when I was 6 weeks 4 days. My fertility nurse had ordered this early scan as there was a chance I would be carrying 2, 3 or 4 babies as I'd had 4 developed follicles at my Clomid scan.

I had read that seeing a heartbeat wasn't guaranteed during your 6th week so I (as usual) assumed the worst - that I would not see a heartbeat yet.

We arrived about 10 mins early for our appointment. We were far from strangers in this department - I'd had lots of ultrasounds previously but never for this before.

I couldn't help but feel excited! 

We went in (I was absolutely BUSTING to use the toilet!!) and the lady had to press quite hard to get what she wanted. She kept saying "you've been through your fair share of transvaginal ultrasounds so I want to avoid one now, if possible".

I mentioned the spotting that had taken place 6 days previously. She said she'd look out for a reason.

Then... "WE HAVE A HEARTBEAT!!" The lady excitedly exclaimed! 

Our miracle Lil Bean

She took all the measurements she needed, and kept pressing very hard. It was very painful. I kept asking "are you SURE that's a baby??" She was laughing and saying "yes!"

As we'd got our fluttering on the screen we'd so desperately hoped for, I did not have to have an internal ultrasound (which was strange but nice as they can be uncomfortable but I'm so used to them!)

The lady said "I think I've found why you had the spotting last week..." It turned out there was an 'area of blood' in my uterus. She did not seem bothered by this at all so neither were we!

We were given our grainy pictures of our little miracle - half of me and half of him all nestled into MY body. Wonderful. On top of the world is too low to cover how we felt.

We rung our mums and gave them the happy news.

No comments:

Post a Comment