Wednesday 26 August 2015

Dear Diary... The tale of our honeymoon

My husband and I got married at the end of last summer. We were so indecisive about where to go on our honeymoon I posted on here on 24th February Heavenly Honeymoon Hunt in which we were really unsure where we were going to end up.

We re-visited the same travel agents a few weeks after our initial research. We both love Greek food, Greek scenery and the fact you don't waste days of your holiday travelling - the Greek islands are relatively short flights. My husband was very set upon Santorini. Santorini is very well advertised as a perfect wedding destination and popular honeymoon favourite. We quickly established it was big bucks to stay anywhere higher than 2* accommodation. My husband insisted he could save the money the way he had worked hard to save the amount he had for our wedding over 10 months. I put my foot down! What was the point of paying thousands; more than some Caribbean getaways; for a quaint summer trip to Greece? What more would we actually get for our money?
We both stayed in Crete before; it was my first Greek Island holiday and also our first as a couple. I hated it. I would not recommend it to an enemy let alone a friend! The hotel we'd picked was All Inclusive. Let me explain - I'd only ever been to Egypt and Ibiza for sun holidays and a few city trips. So All Inclusive/ full board, for me, was the only way. My then-boyfriend now-husband convinced me to try Crete. Yuk. The hotel was miles away from anywhere. They only served pig-based dishes (yuk) and spaghetti Bolognaise so for 7 days I ate spag bol for lunch and for dinner. The scenery also left a lot to be desired - it looked rough and there was just miles of rubble and not much else.

Anyway, I digress. I'd since been persuaded to try other Greek Islands but this time the proper way. The only way you should do Greece (I'd quickly learnt). Bed and breakfast is fine, but not ideal if you want to avoid the buffet style eat what you're given food! Self catering is what Greece is all about for us. The bakeries are usually amazing. The tavernas and restaurants are always just a short walk away from self-catering apartments. The same for supermarkets. 

We looked at Oía; the main show of Santorini. The place that features on 96% of the images portrayed of Santorini. My husband insisted about saving so we could stay here. I was dubious; it was a lot more than the other side of the island. 

The island of Santorini is 10 miles long. Oía is the most northern point with views of the Caldera. We looked at the other, south side - where the beaches run for miles and are striking black volcanic sand. 
After multiple searches we came across a seaside town called Perissa. A villa complex we could actually afford. 


It looked lovely. The pool was the biggest we'd seen of all the hotels we'd considered. It was pretty perfect; price, pool, location - only five to ten minutes walk from there to the long row of restaurants. The only initial snag was it was 2*, we asked the travel agent what that reflected. She admitted she wasn't sure but that location is usually a big factor and it's not the most popular of resorts; as most couples prefer to stay along the Caldera view towns. We looked on Trip Advisor - not to be religiously followed but definitely a must for a guide of advice. It had 4.5/5 and NO reviews less than 4 in the past year. 
We were sold! When you go to Greece; you do not go for the plush faux-fur rugs and four poster beds! You do not go for the waiter service around the pool. You go for the rustic; the simplicity; the scenery; the humble Greek amenities.

No comments:

Post a Comment