Tuesday 24 February 2015

Heavenly Honeymoon Hunt

One of the biggest decisions for us at the moment is... Where to go on our honeymoon!

I said a while ago that the longer time passes after the nuptials, the less bothered I am about going on a honeymoon. I stand by that really, but recently I've been feeling a little down and having something to look forward to seems sensible! 

So, I think the problem is, I built it right up in my head that the honeymoon has to be different from every other holiday - more amazing, more stunning, more beautiful, out of this world, luxurious and totally exotic! I seem to forget it's really just a holiday. That it doesn't overly matter how perfect it is - I'll be with my husband! 

We visited a travel agent and sat in there for 90 minutes then went home to continue our search on the internet.

I am restricted to school holidays. We would like to go for a whole fortnight so that leaves us with the summer holiday really. That eradicates the idea of the Caribbean - hurricane season!

As I say - I picture a stunning scenery, and for some reason I picture it just being us two walking through quaint (possibly cobbled) streets filled with cute lil boulangeries and authentic restaurants. I don't picture the usual inflatable-filled swimming pool and tourist-heavy streets you get on 'normal' holiday. I'd like it to feel secluded and lush. Hey, a girl can dream, right?

The cobbled streets of Rhodes Town

Santorini and Mykonos were strong favourites, but we soon discovered Santorini is way out of our price range if we were to stay in half decent (above 2 star rating) accommodation. So, Mykonos it is, you could be forgiven for thinking. That's what we thought also. We searched and searched and every hotel in our price range doesn't have a swimming pool. We are both lazy loungers on sun holidays - we eat, we laze, we swim, we dry off in the sun, we eat, we laze, we swim, we dry off, we get dressed up then guess what - we eat again!
So, you can see why a lovely swimming pool is kinda a necessity for us (along with some decent eateries!) Oh and an infinity pool would be nice!

Back to the drawing board it is then!

In an ideal world, we would love to go to somewhere as exotic as Hawaii or Mauritius but I don't think we'll be able to. We asked for donations to our honeymoon fund instead of gifts for those who wanted to bring something to celebrate our wedding. I don't think it helps that we spent about a third of that fund on a new oven and fridge-freezer but that's what being a grown-up is all about! 

I'd love to hear of any honeymoon, or even just luscious holidays any of you have been on... And for now, as my mum would say "happy hunting!" 

 Santorini infinity pool - what a view! (photo courtesy of Boomsbeat.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment